Gosh. I can’t believe Thanksgiving is already over and passed! Where has the year gone!? This Thanksgiving was a very different one. Two days prior, I rescued McKenzie Rae. My sister is living in New York now. My brother is in Italy serving with the 173rd Airborne Brigade, US Army. My mom moved into a new house. I knew it’d be a quiet holiday, but it turned out to be wonderful!
Matt, Khloee, Wynston and I went to my mom’s house for our big feast. There was a total of 7 of us, when typically there are 10+. It was definitely weird not having my siblings there, but we all got to talk to Matthew (my brother) over seas! I hadn’t heard his voice in months. We all took a walk to the park where Khloee and Wynston got to run around. Then after a relaxing afternoon, we heading home to be with McKenzie Rae.
It’s crazy how much McKenzie has improved in just three short days. She’s doing things that I thought would take her a month! Here are her latest accomplishments:
- She can go DOWN the stairs now! She learned how to go up almost immediately, but going down was much scarier. Not anymore!
- She was playing with Khloee. Like…all out playing! (videos below)
- Slept with me in bed all night!!!!!! I barely got sleep because she kept moving around but it was worth it. She cuddled with me all night and it made me such a happy mom.
- Greeted Matt and I at the door with a wagging tail!
- Cuddled with Matt on the couch while watching the National Dog Show. McKenzie was seriously watching the show and trying to sniff the dogs on TV.
- Whenever Matt and I sit on the floor to play with Khloee and/or Wynston, McKenzie runs into our laps and lays down. She’s realizing we are loving people to be trusted!
So far, McKenzie Rae has been learning very quickly. It helps to have Wynston and Khloee as good role models. Matt and I have been using tons of positive reinforcement for the progress she makes (which is pretty much all the time). We’ve also been using appropriate body language and actions to help her trust us. It’s definitely working!
Since McKenzie was a stray, she’s used to going potty outside. It works out nicely for us! We are still going out into the backyard with her to do her business, and positively reinforcing the behavior. We’ll probably be doing that for a while.
With all of the progress McKenzie has made, we decided to try to take her on a walk today. But…NOPE. Not happening. No way. She completely panicked when we put the leash on her. We gently took it off and gave her treats for letting us get close to her and put the collar on. The leash is on the ground so she can smell it and see what it’s all about. We’ll try a walk again once we feel she is really becoming more confident.
Today I did a bit of Black Friday shopping with my mom. I picked up some Christmas presents for family and hit up PetSmart for the great sale they were having! Check out my dog mom purchases:
Now I’m home and resting with all of my kids. I heated up some delicious leftovers for Matt and I then we took Khloee and Wynston on a walk. It was an absolutely beautiful past few days in so many ways!
How was your Thanksgiving?