“You aren’t a real mom unless you have children. You’ll never know what motherhood is like until you have a kid. You’ll be a great mom some day – you’re such a good pet mom!” These are things you should never say to a dedicated dog mom, especially when she doesn’t want children. They are offensive and disrespectful. Just because someone is female doesn’t mean she has to bear children…
Happy Mother’s Day to ALL of the moms out there. Whether you have human, dog, cat, reptile, bird or horse (the list goes on) kids. I respect my (few) friends with human children as much as I respect my friends with animal children. In fact, a lot of my dog mom friends treat their dogs better than a lot of moms treat human children.
For anyone who thinks that dog moms aren’t “real moms,” I beg to differ for the following reasons:
- I clean up poop, vomit, muddy floors, de-stuffed toys and put toys away in the toy box 10 times a day.
- Just as human kids go to the doctor, I take my animals to the vet for regular check ups and when they are sick.
- I take my dogs on road trips. A lot of families travel with their kids – I travel with my dogs (and they are much easier…)
- My dogs have play dates.
- My dogs do sports and other extra curricular activities such as modeling.
- My day revolves around my dogs. I’ll never make a decision without my dogs in mind.
- We go on outings with friends.
- Dogs have to learn just as human kids do. It just looks different. I teach my dogs everyday.
- I watch what my dogs are eating – I feed them nutritious meals and make sure they get exercise.
- I proudly display all of Wynston’s trophies, ribbons and awards, just as any mom would do!
- I take my dogs to see Santa Claus and the Easter bunny.
- I throw my dogs birthday parties.
Dog moms are “real” moms. What can you add to the list of reasons why this is true?!