I fell in love with Lucas last week when I saw him on Facebook. My heart just melted and his photos gave me that “I need to adopt him feeling.” Lucas is a very special boy. He’s a three year old Chihuahua who’s loving, playful and great with other dogs, cats and children! Sounds like quite a catch eh? He sure is. And there’s something that makes Lucas especially unique – he is blind. But don’t let his inability to see steer you away from giving this boy a much deserving home. He’s just like any other amazing dog!
Lucas was rescued when he was found hiding under a car in California. Lucas had serious medical needs when he was saved, making it likely that someone dumped him due to his need for serious veterinary attention. Once Lucas was in good hands and taken to a vet, the diagnosis was both eyes had to be removed because of Glaucoma and luxation/subluxation of his eyes.
Lucas just recently underwent eye removal surgery and also got neutered at that time. The poor guy came out of his procedure well, but unable to see anymore. It sounds sad, but having no eyes is much better for Lucas than having extremely painful ones. He’s a much happier boy now!
This baby’s life has changed, but very much for the better. Although he’s in an incredible foster home in California, he’s ready to live out the rest of his long life with a forever family who will be patient with his special needs. Lucas may be blind, but he doesn’t require much more attention that a dog who can see. He just requires a family who will be patient while he adjusts to his new surroundings.
More About Lucas
- 3 year old Chihuahua
- Located in San Diego, CA
- Healthy, neutered, all vaccines and microchipped. (Now that his painful eyes are gone, he’s good to go!!)
- 100% crate trained, 95% potty trained (but the foster parents and a solid schedule are helping him learn)
- Lucas will thrive on a routine and set schedule. Since he cannot see, this will help him to understand what is going on at all times.
- He can easily sniff his way around the house, and use his great sense of hearing to get around!
- Active and playful
- Good with cats, dogs and children
- Independent but loves people
What Lucas Needs
- A loving home that will be patient with him while he learns and adjusts to life in your home. Preferably with older children.
- A routine/schedule.
- Protection from falling down stairs, into a pool, etc.
- A family that will give him the attention and love he deserves for the rest of his life!
- A family who will keep him safe outside for potty breaks.
How to Adopt Lucas
Lucas is an adoptable dog available through Chihuahua Rescue of San Diego. The foster mom is potentially willing to travel if she can find the perfect home for Lucas!! I was seriously considering adopting him, in which case I would have traveled to get him. Matt and I have our hands full with six animals right now – but I would most definitely make him mine if I could!
Can’t adopt him? PLEASE help us spread the word!! Check out his Adopt a Pet profile, and you can share all of his info from there and check out more details. You can also share this blog post so we can find Lucas the home he deserves.