Wynston started professionally modeling in October 2014. His first photo shoot ever was for the Martha Stewart Pets spring clothing line, carried at PetSmart. Originally he was selected as an alternate in case the client needed another dog for outfits, and he ended up being used for five ensembles! The thought of Wynston modeling professionally was exciting but terrifying, and I was extremely nervous. Much to my surprise, Wynston did very well! Since then, I’ve learned a little bit from each photo shoot we’ve done. I now have a solid list of things I do to prepare myself and Wynston for our big day.
Preparing Your Dog For a Pet Photo Shoot
- Nail trim: I always make sure Wynston’s nails are trimmed before a shoot. They don’t have to be perfect but I don’t want them looking super long. Wyn doesn’t appreciate it, but that’s part of the model life!
- Bath time: Wynston gets a bath the night before a photo shoot. Although it doesn’t make him look any different since he has short black hair, he sure does smell good!
- Training: I work with Wynston, Khloee and McKenzie Rae on basic training commands everyday. Before photo shoots, I amp it up for Wynston and put him in some outfits while we work on sit-stays. Lots of treats for looking cute in clothes!
Preparing Myself For The Pet Photo Shoot
- Picking out an outfit: I like to look nice at photo shoots but also be comfortable. It’s important that I wear an outfit I can move around in. A lot of times I’m on the floor so I need to be practical. I get hot under all of the bright lights too, so that’s something to keep in mind.
- Packing a bag: Photo shoots require a full tote bag of goodies. I bring dog treats for basic training and reward at the shoot but I also bring human food, like meat or cheese, for when Wynston is actually getting his picture taken. I bring a few toys to get his attention if necessary, water for obvious reasons, a wash cloth just in case I need to wipe off his face and anything that may be necessary for a specific shoot. I load up the stroller the night before the shoot so it’s ready to go. The stroller is wonderful because Wynston can relax at the photo shoots without being too confined. It’s also great because I can just wheel my stuff around!
- Get good sleep: Sleep is a must before photo shoots. I get nervous, so I make sure that I am well rested. I bring snacks and water for myself.
You may wonder why I get nervous. Like any mom, I want my boy to do well. Imagine your dog getting his/her photo taken for a big company. Wouldn’t you want to make sure it was perfect and your dog was cooperative?! Of course they are dogs, so if they don’t like it, there’s not much we can do. Typically lots of human food does the trick, however.
Wynston continues to model on a consistent basis. He’s now been in three PetSmart ads, and he’s constantly on the website sporting the latest fashions. Want your pet to become a model? Look for a local animal talent agency near you 🙂
Check out this behind the scenes photo from one of our photo shoots!!!!