Trick or Treat Giveaway Hop Prizes
How the Giveaway Hop Works
Below this post is a widget you fill out to enter the giveaway. You will be asked to perform simple tasks such as following each blog on a social media platform. The widget will take you through step by step! Then you can click on all of the blogs I have listed below our trick to see their fun trick and enter into their widget. It’s easy, it’s fun and it’s educational! The more blogs you enter to win on, the bigger your chances are to win – so be sure to visit every blog! The giveaway hop runs October 20-30th.
Our Trick: Teach Your Dog to Spin Left and Right
Teaching your dog to “spin” is a pretty simple trick. With Khloee’s assistance, I’m going to show you how to teach your dog not only to spin, but to spin left or right. Take a look at the video first.
Now here’s a step-by-step:
- Make sure you have lots of treats for positive reinforcement training. Positive reinforcement training methods are by far the most effective. When training my dogs I like to have a treat pouch attached to my pants so I can easily access the treats
- Your dog can begin in a sit or stand. Whatever they are most comfortable with.
- Take a treat and put it right in front of your dog’s nose. Keep your hand and treat close to your dog and turn your arm in a big left or right circle. As soon as your dog does a complete circle, give them the treat! The idea is to have your dog follow the hand with the treat in it. Try it with your dog spinning left and right. Khloee can do both but Wynston can’t seem to figure out how to turn right.
- Positively reinforce this behavior as necessary. Lots of treats and praise is always good.
- Once your dog gets comfortable following your hand in a circular motion, circle your hand in the air above their head. You still want your dog to be following your treat hand so they turn in a circle. Now treat, treat, treat your dog.
- As your dog gets better at following your hand, you can make your hand movements smaller and smaller as shown in the video above.
- You can add the words “left” and “right” after your dog is consistently following your hand and performing the spin.
- After repeating these behaviors with lots of treat rewards, eventually you will be able to tell your dog “left” or “right” and they will spin that way!