Wynston and I stayed at Crook Campground in Forest Lakes Estates, Arizona in June 2020 for the first time. Here is our dog-friendly review of Crook Campground.
Crook Campground Review
Crook Campground is an absolutely fantastic dog-friendly camping site in northern Arizona. It is located about halfway between Payson and Heber. Crook Campground is not only conveniently located, but it’s also quiet, safe and beautiful. It’s part of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest.
At a Glance
- Peak season: May through October
- Fees: Yes
- Tents, campers, RVs allowed
- Vault toilets for campers (not open to public)
- Potable water
- Camp hosts
- Paved roads
- Non-electric camp sites
Meadow Trail runs through Crook Campground, and leads to the Rim Lakes Vista Trail which offers magnificent views of the Mogollon Rim.
We paid a fee of $18/night, plus an $8 vehicle fee.
What I Love About Crook Campground
- Simple cul-de-sac layout.
- Great bathrooms, cleaned almost daily by the camp hosts.
- Campfire grills available (although fire restrictions were in place while we were there).
- Nice, clean, large picnic tables at each camp space.
- Camp hosts were friendly, and checked in on us.
- Flattened areas for campers who are pitching tents.
- Large garbage dumpsters to throw trash.
- Super close to Woods Canyon Lake and general store.
Directions from Payson
Travel east on State Highway 260 about 30 miles to the top of the rim. Turn left on FR 300, which is located directly across from the Mogollon Rim Visitor Center. Drive about four miles on FR 300 until you reach FR 150 Woods Canyon Lake on your right. Turn right, and Crook Campground will be almost immediately on your right.
Picnic Tables: Yes
Drinking Water: Yes
Tent Camping: Yes
Camper/Car Camping: Yes
Cell Coverage: Poor (Verizon)
I rate Crook Campground a 5/5 paws! It is the perfect spot for people who are looking to camp with a few amenities. Even though I was camping alone, I felt safe.
Wynston and I will definitely be back to spend more time at Crook Campground. It’s a tremendous spot for beginner and experienced campers alike.